Book Ratings

Book ratings explained:

* I didn't like it | ** It was OK | *** I liked it | **** I really liked it | ***** I loved it

Thursday, July 15, 2004

The Tragic MooLatte - Couldn't Dairy Queen find something else to call its new drink? By Timothy Noah

Oh, please, get a life. Since I'm neither a rampaging bigot nor a bleeding heart, the similarity this person rants about between the name of the drink and a racial designation didn't even occur to me although I have probably heard the word for the racial designation used more often on a regular basis than the author of the article. I am also willing to bet that most people didn't make the association either since the word for the racial designation isn't really in popular use.

To quote the article, "Moreover, the name of a commercial product should never spotlight, even unintentionally, the physical similarity between that product's appearance (in this case, hue) and that of any class of human beings." And what would you rather they had called it? What clever, catchy word can you come up with for ice cream that you can tack onto latte to make a silly coffee drink name?

2 comments:

Roseunicorn said...

had to look at the article to figure out what the fuss was about - give me a break.

Seitherin said...

Silly, isn't it?