Book Ratings

Book ratings explained:

* I didn't like it | ** It was OK | *** I liked it | **** I really liked it | ***** I loved it

Friday, July 16, 2004

The new "user-friendly" Blogger

To quote directly from The Jargon Dictionary:

"user-friendly adj. Programmer-hostile. Generally used by hackers in a critical tone, to describe systems that hold the user's hand so obsessively that they make it painful for the more experienced and knowledgeable to get any work done."

I hate sounding ungrateful since blogger.com is a free service, but I really wish someone would put a stop to implementing improvements that aren't and fixing things that aren't broken.

I wish I knew to whom to attribute the next quote, but I have no idea where it originated. It has pretty much become my mantra when I am asked to modify one of the programs I've written to make it just the tiniest bit more idiot proof.

"Design a system that any fool can use and only a fool will use it."

No comments: