Book Ratings

Book ratings explained:

* I didn't like it | ** It was OK | *** I liked it | **** I really liked it | ***** I loved it

Saturday, October 02, 2004

That was a day off?

Yesterday was my Friday off.

I woke up at 7-ish. Fed the cats. Did the computer thing. Got dressed. Went out for breakfast which was a lovely leisurely meal coupled with reading several pages of the Robb book.

Came back home and did the computer thing again until it was time to take Heru to the vet for his second of four booster shot visits. The prodigal son drove while I held Heru since we opted not to put him in the carrier this time. He did fairly well. The little stinker put on almost 2 pounds since his first visit to the vet four weeks ago. He is now a svelte but healthy 5 pound kitten. In the month we've had him, he's gone from being very small to being the same size as Rainbow and Mouse. Yikes! Maybe those paws aren't fibbing about the size he'll be.

The son and I dropped Heru off at home so we could get the son a haircut. He went back to his old style, but he did have the very nice woman who cut his hair save his little ponytail so he could give it to his girlfriend. She even put the lock on one of those Baby's First Haircut cards for him. I meant to take pictures of his ponytail and haircut, but I just forgot about it by the time we got home.

Anyway, haircut done, we headed off to the DVM to change the address on the prodigal son's license and to fill out a new voter registration card for him. The DVM was surprisingly empty for the middle of the day. There was no one ahead of us so we were in and out in a flash.

Next stop was the post office to pick up the mail and then on to the shoe store to find a new pair of loafers for me since mine are only being held together by spit and a prayer. Picked up some black loafers for me (I would rather have had brown but there were no brown loafers to be had) and a pair of grey trainers for the prodigal son as well as a pair of Homer Simpson slippers for him. He's been wanting some novelty slippers for the longest time and he was just so excited they had the Homer Simpson's in his size. It's moments like these where I see me in him.

After the shoes, I went next door to the fat lady store while the prodigal son went to puff (yes, he smokes despite constant hassling from me, the entire family, and his girlfriend). I picked up four pair of jeans to replace the ones I'm on the cusp of wearing out. I could only find one pair in my size of the brand and style I prefer so I had to settle for three pair in a brand and style I don't usually wear. Let's face it, when you've worn your jeans so much that the seams are frayed and little tears appear in a new place every time you put them on, it's time to replace them even if you can't quite get what you want.

The prodigal son dropped me off at the mall entrance while he dropped the car off at Jiffy Lube to get a much needed and deserved oil change. He joined me in the mall and we went looking for something he wanted for his XBox. Found it and then walked back to Jiffy Lube to wait for the car. Not only did the good little car get an oil change, she also got a new air filter and the light bulb over the license plate replaced. She was a very happy little car when we left.

Went to McDonald's to pick up something for the son to eat and a soda for me to drink since he was starved (he didn't go to breakfast with me) and I was parched.

Got home and I did the computer thing in my room for a bit while the son went to eat and do the XBox thing in his room. Only the XBox decided it was done doing its thing and made some sizzling noises while it sparked and gave off a very unpleasant ozone smell. The son asked me if he could call tech support and find out what it would take to get the unit fixed - somewhere between $40 and $80. After talking about it for a bit, I decided it would be simpler to buy a new one so off we went to WalMart to get a new unit. They didn't have any so off we went to Target who did have one. The prodigal son got the XBox and I picked up a couple of pretzels for myself.

Got home this time and the son did the XBox thing while I plopped on the sofa to watch Andromeda followed by Joan of Arcadia. Some time after Joan was over, not sure exactly when, the son left to hang with his friends and I fell asleep on the sofa. I woke up about 11-ish when the son and his friends invaded the house. I watched something on TV though I haven't a clue what. I finally went to bed at midnight.

And that was my day off.

No comments: