Book Ratings

Book ratings explained:

* I didn't like it | ** It was OK | *** I liked it | **** I really liked it | ***** I loved it

Monday, August 23, 2004

Monday montage

Well.

I'm tired. Pre-rush hour rush hour traffic in Houston is murder. I was privileged to face it twice today. Once this morning without benefit of coffee and once this afternoon without benefit of an armoured all terrain vehicle. And I get to do it four more times this week. I'm taking a VB.net course in Houston and I get to drive to the Galleria. I'm not sure which I hate more - Houston traffic or VB.net.

Tank

If the Whole World could vote for president of the U.S. this year, BetaVote.com is where everyone would go to do it. Check it out. Last time I looked, Kerry was winning by a landslide.

German flag Smiley

I've gotten a couple of emails that reference some Cambridge University research study on the human mind which did not include any kind of bona fides for the study. Doing a search - not an intensive one, mind you - I couldn't find anything online for it. However, the gist of the research seemed to be that as long as the first and last letters of a word were placed correctly and all the remaining letters of a word are included, it doesn't really matter how a word is spelled for the human mind to recognize it. In other words, it doesn't matter how you misspell a word as long as you misspell it correctly. Take for example the last email on the topic I received:

ANOTHER INTERESTING THING ABOUT THE HUMAN MIND

Don't delete this because it looks weird. Believe it or not you can read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

Didn't really have any problem reading the part that looks like gobblygook, did you? Will wonders never cease?!?

Oriental style drawing of a fish

No comments: