Book Ratings

Book ratings explained:

* I didn't like it | ** It was OK | *** I liked it | **** I really liked it | ***** I loved it

Friday, May 06, 2005

Shine

When did 'shine' go from being an irregular verb to a regular one? All my life, the past tense of 'shine' was 'shone' and today I was hit in the face with 'shined'. It was such a violent shock I was yanked right out of the story I was reading (R. Scott Bakker's The Darkness That Comes Before, last paragraph on page 27 of the US hardback edition.)

Is that part of the dumbing down process that's been occurring over the last 30 years or so? Am I the only person who notices things like that?

Stumbling into 'shined' was almost as jarring as falling over 'leaped' was. All my life, the past tense of 'leap' was 'leapt'. I wonder when 'sleep' will make the migration and 'slept' turns into 'sleeped'.

No comments: