Book Ratings

Book ratings explained:

* I didn't like it | ** It was OK | *** I liked it | **** I really liked it | ***** I loved it

Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Wurst Haus is back!

Sort of. Quite a few years ago, the best restaurant in town was a German deli and restaurant called the Wurst Haus. It was owned by a German couple who used their own recipes for the food. The atmosphere was wonderful. The people were great. The food was as close to perfect as you can get. Needless to say, my ex, son and I were regulars.

But then Bernie and Marlies decided to retire and their daughter took over. And things slowly got not quite as wonderful, not quite as great, and definitely not near perfect. Eventually the restaurant was sold to someone who obviously didn't have a clue why the place was the most popular eatery in town. Things went from not quite so good to worse and the restaurant finally shut down.

There was much sadness in the hearts of people who loved Bernie's food.

And then last Friday night I cut through town to pick up some nachos on my way home from work, and what do I spot on the corner of This Way and That Way? The Wurst Haus. I was leery about trying it out. A friend's husband ran a check to see who filed the DBA and it was someone neither of us had heard of. We knew it wasn't the last person who had the original restaurant, but still . . .

Anywho, a lunch date I had today had to be postponed until tomorrow so I decided to live dangerously and try the Wurst Haus out. It was almost like going home again.

The man who owns it used to work as a chef for Bernie. He wanted to open a restaurant in town, so he asked Bernie if he could open the Wurst Haus again. Bernie agreed. Not only does the restaurant have the same name, it has the same menu and the food is made using Bernie's recipes.

I had Wiener Schnitzel, Blaukraut, Bratkartoffeln, and green peas (Schoten?) with a plate of lentil soup (Linsensuppe?) before and Apfelstrudel after. The only thing missing was the Bier, but they still haven't gotten their liquor license so that will have to wait a bit.

I'm stuffed and happy. This is a good Christmas present.

11 comments:

Tati said...

Sounds good. Very good :-)

Seitherin said...

It was. My tummy is still happy.

;D

Roseunicorn said...

YIPEE!!!! Finally good German food again.

Seitherin said...

L & S went yesterday for lunch and they gave it two thumbs up as well. I'm thinking of going back sometime during the week to have goulash. I used to love Bernie's goulash.

Anonymous said...

*LOL*

german "Wurst Haus"

What a funny name!!!

The composition of your choosen food is funny too!!

Wiener-Schnitzel with Blaukraut!
Do you know which kind of meet the Wiener Schnitzel was made of? The real Wiener Schnitzel is made from veal. Mostly it is made from pork.
Did you get a piece of citron too?

When you need some real german receipes - just write what you are looking for and I make a little german cook-book for you!

Greetings Meike

Seitherin said...

The Schnitzel was made with pork. And I love Blaukraut. I could eat Blaukraut all day long.

;D

Anonymous said...

OK - Wiener Schnitzel from pork.
I like it too!!

And Blaukraut has several names. Blaukraut is the name in bavaria. Where I come from in germany it is called Rotkohl.

Can you buy "red cabbage" where you live? The I send you a receipe!

Meike

Seitherin said...

I am originally from Bavaria. Fürth by Nürnberg.

And yes, I can get red cabbage here. I would love a recipe to make at home.

;D

Seitherin said...

The Black Forest cake doesn't taste the same. I'm not sure where they get it but I don't think they make the desserts themselves.

As for the recipe, I've got it somewhere. I'll have to dig around for it but I'll post it when I find it.

Anonymous said...

I too discovered the "new" Wurst Haus cutting through town. A friend and I had just been to Lunch at Chili's and were running by The Local for some last minute Christmas shopping and there it was, right on the corner.

Wurst Haus was my family's only celebration spot. We were there often enough that Marlies knew our favorite table in the small room toward the back. She'd seat us there even if there weren't other customers in the next closest room.

One of the highlights of coming home from college on weekends was going to Wurst Haus, and I'd always take a care package back.

I've tried a number of things on the "new" menu and so far it all tastes the same, especially the German Fried Potatoes, all crisp and buttery with bits of sauted onion...I hadn't realized how much I'd missed them :). Even the bread and spicy mustard on those great sandwiches tastes the same.

My mother passed away a year ago this past February and my dad hasn't been able to enjoy eating at any of the places they used to go together. The new Wurst Haus is different. The authenticity of the food from Bernie's time brings back how much fun we all had with Mother, but the fact that it's a different location and decor gives him a step back from the pain of her loss and lets him actually enjoy himself.

I'm glad I found your blog. I was surfing for a Wurst Haus listing and found your site.

BTW, I have two cats...Ben and Emily...both spoiled rotten and living the life of Riley.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I work at the Wurst Haus and wanted to give you all their website address: www.wursthaus.net