Book Ratings

Book ratings explained:

* I didn't like it | ** It was OK | *** I liked it | **** I really liked it | ***** I loved it

Monday, July 18, 2005

General computer hatred

I'm having another one of those "I hate computers" phases. I just can't seem to get interested in anything to do with them. I even managed to go most of the weekend without checking email.

I've been busy at work so I can't really work up much interest in anything other than being a couch potato when I get home. I'm still waiting for my Harry Potter to arrive since it's coming all the way from the UK. I refuse to buy the American versions since I refuse to participate in the dumbing down of children.

I knit a bit on the scarf last Monday. I also found that afghan I was working on years ago and crocheted a very tiny bit on it. I did spend the weekend stitching on the butterfly fairy so I'll have pictures up tonight - assuming I feel inclined to talk to my computer long enough to get that done. ;D

I'm taking my lunch break at work right now and it is almost over, so . . . TTFN.

5 comments:

Tati said...

Hope you get out of your "slump" soon.
I didn't know there was a difference between the UK and US versions of Harry Potter!

Seitherin said...

I don't think there is any difference in the story, just in the use of slang. The slang has been Americanized. I can't actually remember if Ron says "Bloody hell" in the book like he does in the movies, but I feel reasonably certain if he does, it's not in the American version.

Stef said...

I don't hate computers, just mine. I have "There are some days I hate my computer...this is one of them" days. As a friend of mine says, my computer (and his, too) is "jacked up"!

My kids love the Harry Potter books. If what you say is so (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), then I'd probably get my HP books from the UK, too.

Seitherin said...

The title of the first Potter book was changed from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the American kids since no one expected Americans to know what a philosopher's stone was. They kept that the title for the movie because, I suspect, it was a US film company making the movie and the US probably accounts for a very significant portion of the film's gross.

The book still hasn't arrived, but I don't really expect it until the weekend. Unfortunately, I think I know what the big surprise in this book is. I unintentionally stumbled across a review of the book by some addlepate who used the big secret as the title of his review. I didn't read the actual review so I don't know the what, where, when, how, who, or why.

I personally think reviewers who give away the big ending in the titles of their reviews ought to be shot. And possibly drawn and quartered.

;D

Tati said...

I second that. I accidentally gleamed that information from a review too (the who of it).
Damn reviewers.