Book Ratings

Book ratings explained:

* I didn't like it | ** It was OK | *** I liked it | **** I really liked it | ***** I loved it

Saturday, December 16, 2006

This and that and the other stuff

You can't get a decent croissant in this town. I'm still just 'continental' enough to want a croissant and coffee for breakfast every once in a while. So I went in search of such this morning.

The coffee part was fairly easy. There is a place in town called The Local which does a fairly decent cup of Starbucks. They list croissants on their bakery board so I decided to give them a try. Not such a good idea. Their idea of a croissant is that faux white bread used for making sandwiches which is not the kind of croissant one dips in one's coffee. And they were not fresh and had very obviously been frozen at some time since there was still a chill on them when I got them home. Oh, well, I should have known better. This place went from serving their tuna sandwiches on a multi grain bread to serving them on a flavorless sourdough.

I also stopped in the Hastings this morning. I haven't been in since they moved from the mall out on the highway next to Target. As much as I hated the store when it was in the mall, I hate it even more now. Their aisles are like a maze in a dungeon where you get trapped in dark corners and can't escape. Seriously. The store is nothing but dead end aisles where you have to retrace your steps to get to another section. And you can't see over the bookcases which are so close together it makes the place feel claustrophobic. Give me a Barnes & Noble any day.

I also - finally - managed to get the rest of my Christmas cards mailed. I posted the international cards on Tuesday when the machine at the post office started dispensing postage again after being offline for a week. But it still wasn't doing regular US postage. So I bit the bullet and got up in time to hit the two hour window when the post office is actually open for business on Saturday. My, my, my. There was quite a nice little crowd. You'd almost think this was the weekend before the weekend before Christmas it was so busy. I bought real stamps - how boring have Christmas stamps become, I ask - ugly snowflakes on one and a Madonna and child on the other - and slapped them on the envelops(*) and popped the cards in the mail slot. The only thing left to mail is the Best Friend's gift which I will do either tomorrow or Tuesday - I'm such a procrastinator.

And now I'm home. I'm torn between finishing the socks I'm working on and crawling back into my book. Who would have thought I'd get into a book that's more about swordfish fishing than the murder mystery I picked it up for? Live and learn.

(*)Envelops? What, in heavens name, is an envelop? That is supposed to be envelopes. One of these days I will learn to spell. ;D

3 comments:

Roseunicorn said...

Do you still pick up mail at the Post Office address (which I have) cause I was planning on sending your presents either Monday or Tuesday?

more later.

Seitherin said...

Yep, still got it.

Tati said...

Sounds like a bit of Christmas stress. Sorry about the crappy croissants ;-(