Book Ratings

Book ratings explained:

* I didn't like it | ** It was OK | *** I liked it | **** I really liked it | ***** I loved it

Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Most Significant SF & Fantasy Books of the Last 50 Years, 1953-2002

I stumbled across this list here. Like the poster of that article, I had to see how many of them I had read. I'm also not sure what qualifies these books - especially a couple of them - as 'significant'.

I've bolded the ones I've read and added comments where I felt the need.

1. The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien (I can see why this one would be 'significant' by just about any definition, but, honestly, the book bored me silly. It's been nearly 30 years since I read it and I just can't bring myself to pick it up again.)

2. The Foundation Trilogy, Isaac Asimov (Asimov is one of my favorite authors and is one of the first SF authors I read when I finally got into SF over 30 years ago. I remember nothing about these books except that I liked them when I read them.)

3. Dune, Frank Herbert

4. Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert A. Heinlein (This is one of those books that everyone bows to as the greatest thing ever written. I thought it was crap when I read it 20 odd years ago.)

5. A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula K. Le Guin

6. Neuromancer, William Gibson

7. Childhood's End, Arthur C. Clarke

8. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Philip K. Dick

9. The Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley

10. Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury (This is my favorite Bradbury. As a biblioholic, a time without books just terrifies me. I've read this one several times.)

11. The Book of the New Sun, Gene Wolfe (I loved these books when I read them. I only know of one other friend who has read them and enjoyed these books as much as I did. Both of us are female. All of the males I know who have tried to read these books have not liked them.)

12. A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr.

13. The Caves of Steel, Isaac Asimov

14. Children of the Atom, Wilmar Shiras

15. Cities in Flight, James Blish

16. The Colour of Magic, Terry Pratchett

17. Dangerous Visions, edited by Harlan Ellison

18. Deathbird Stories, Harlan Ellison

19. The Demolished Man, Alfred Bester

20. Dhalgren, Samuel R. Delany

21. Dragonflight, Anne McCaffrey

22. Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

23. The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Stephen R. Donaldson (I tried to read these books. I managed to finish the first one but couldn't bear the second. I don't have a high tolerance for whining self-obsession and that's all Covenant seemed to do.)

24. The Forever War, Joe Haldeman

25. Gateway, Frederik Pohl

26. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, J.K. Rowling

27. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

28. I Am Legend, Richard Matheson

29. Interview with the Vampire, Anne Rice

30. The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. Le Guin (I have this book but I haven't read it yet.)

31. Little, Big, John Crowley (I also have this book in my TBR pile waiting to be read.)

32. Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny

33. The Man in the High Castle, Philip K. Dick

34. Mission of Gravity, Hal Clement

35. More Than Human, Theodore Sturgeon

36. The Rediscovery of Man, Cordwainer Smith

37. On the Beach, Nevil Shute

38. Rendezvous with Rama, Arthur C. Clarke

39. Ringworld, Larry Niven

40. Rogue Moon, Algis Budrys

41. The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien

42. Slaughterhouse-5, Kurt Vonnegut

43. Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson

44. Stand on Zanzibar, John Brunner

45. The Stars My Destination, Alfred Bester

46. Starship Troopers, Robert A. Heinlein

47. Stormbringer, Michael Moorcock

48. The Sword of Shannara, Terry Brooks (I'm not sure how or why this one could ever be considered 'significant'. I suppose it could qualify as best marketed derivative drivel of a classic.)

49. Timescape, Gregory Benford

50. To Your Scattered Bodies Go, Philip Jose Farmer

50.33% of the books read - .33% for the first of the Covenant books since I didn't actually finish the series - and two more of the books in my TBR pile. Not bad.

No comments: