Book Ratings

Book ratings explained:

* I didn't like it | ** It was OK | *** I liked it | **** I really liked it | ***** I loved it

Sunday, August 20, 2006

His Dark Materials

I finally finished the trilogy. I must say that it is one of the best sets of books I've read in a long time and the fact it was intended for a juvenile audience makes it positively astounding. I am, however, rather surprised the Religious Left or Right or whichever it is that wants to drag us all back 2,000 years to a time when persecution, bigotry, prejudice, and subjugation of "lesser" people was the norm didn't balk at these books and insist Pullman be burned at the stake. I can only assume they haven't read the books or they just didn't understand them and didn't want to flaunt their ignorance. Or maybe I don't understand the books and they are just what the Religious Whatever think the world should be.

For me, the books were about saving the majesty of mankind by letting the old way die and by opposing those that would keep us in thrall in the dark because they relish the power it gives them. To put it even more simply, to save the souls of man god must die and a new heaven needs be built on a foundation of wisdom gained through knowledge of ourselves and the world we live in.

No comments: